Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dead Man's Shoes

I watched the film Dead Man's Shoes (2004), directed by Shane Meadows (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0276349/), earlier today and found it to be very engaging and enjoyable.

It is often difficult to deal with violent themes without descending into gratuitous violence, but Meadow's film manages this by leaving much to the imagination where other film-makers may have chosen a gorier path. Further, such scenes are balanced with moments that are both poignant and emotive.

I won't give details of the plot away as to do so would detract from viewing pleasure due to the way the narrative unfolds, where flashbacks playing an important part. But, what I will say is that the film could be seen as a post-modern western. Richard (played by the excellent Paddy Considine) takes on the role of the lone gunman returning to a lawless town (there is no mention or evidence of the existence of the police) to take care of a bunch of no-good bandits lead by Sonny (Gary Stretch).

If I am honest, I often give British cinema (and television) a wide berth, preferring to spend my time gazing at the offerings from America, Asia, and mainland Europe. There is no specific reason for this that I can think of, but if I was to hazard a guess then a conclusion involving the work (?) of a certain Mr Ritchie may be reached.

However, Dead Man's Shoes has made me re-address my attitude towards British films and I will be actively seeking out the other films' from the director's oeuvre, in particular This is England (2006) and Somers Town (2008) both of which I never got round to seeing on release.

No comments:

Post a Comment